Wish it weren’t the case, but there are many out there who want your bike for themselves.
So our team here at Laka have put together a list of top tips for keeping your bike safe, of products we recommend for that added security, and a few further bike security hacks… because you never know!
Lock It Up
- If you’re going to spend money, this is where the investment should go. Make sure you are purchasing a Gold Sold Secure Lock.
- Sold Secure is an independent, not for profit, organisation that test locks according to their strength, reliability and sophistication and ranks them either Gold, Silver or Bronze. Gold rated locks “offer the highest level of security”.
- Don’t opt for locks below the Gold Standard, it’s not worth the risk and Gold Standard locks can start from as little as £20. You can view a list of the latest best offers here, or why not check out the latest products from our partner HipLok.
- Laka Tip: We require evidence that you used a Gold Sold Standard Lock when making a theft claim. The easiest way to do that is by providing clear photographs so that it can be identified on the Laka platform in My Gear > Accessories.
Learn to Lock Properly… duh
- Always lock your bike according to its value:
2. Rear Wheel
3. Front Wheel
- Try and capture your bike frame and rear wheel together within your Gold Sold Secure Lock, whilst making sure you take up as much usable space of the lock as possible. This is so that thieves aren’t able to fit tools around the lock in order to cut or break it.
- Keep your lock high and away from the ground, with the key lock facing downwards for that added difficulty.
Make it a Double (Lock)
- Use a double loop cable, run this around your front wheel and secure it to your Gold Sold Secure Lock of choice. Just ensure that your lock is what is connected to the immovable object you’ve chosen and not the cable.
- Alternatively, use two Gold Sold Secure Locks - one for the rear wheel and frame, and the other for the front wheel and frame.
Where we Storing this Bad Boy?
- Always lock your bike to a solid and secure fixture which cannot be cut and where the bike is immovable.
- If revisiting the same locations, try and vary up your parking spots to keep it inconsistent. Choose well-lit, public areas where CCTV might be watching.
- Do not park your bike in semi-public areas such as back-yards, cul-de-sacs, etc. Choose public spaces where CCTV may be available, where people are walking by (even during the evening), and which are well-lit.
- As reported by the Evening Standard here, cyclists should be wary when securing bikes to cycle racks. Thieves have been known to cut through the metal racks and then cover them with gaffer tape to appear temporarily repaired.
- Wherever possible, keep your bike locked inside (for instance, when at home)
- Laka Tip: Try and lock your bike next to other more valuable bikes which are less securely locked 😉
- You can never be too secure! We’ve seen an ever-increasing amount of claims for stolen handlebars where thieves either saw through the stem, or use a screwdriver.
- For that extra security and peace of mind, we recommend Hexlox to secure the individual parts of your bike. It’s an innovative product which secures your seat, wheels and any other parts of your bike that are attached with a hex (allen) key.
- Where possible and necessary, remove the theft-attractive elements of your bike when parking, such as wheels, lights, attached computers etc.
- Hide your location on fitness tracking apps such as Strava. Set your privacy zones and keep your personal data secure. Read how in our privacy revisited post here.
For Sure, Insure
- Avoid the emotional and financial stress if a theft should take place. Look after your bike by taking out the fairest insurance out there…
🥈Send us your bike details and good quality photos
🥉Add any accessories you’d like to include
- Get your money’s worth and enjoy monthly flexibility
- Reach us with real-time chat instantly whenever you need us
- Join our Laka Club and receive FREE third-party liability insurance, as well as cycling perks to help with your bike safety:
✅ Spend over £25 and get 20% off at HipLok here
✅ Save 15% off all Hexlox products when you join the Laka Club here